In 1840, Międzygórze and the lands surrounding the Massif of Śnieżnik were acquired by Princess Marianne of Orange-Nassau, the wife to Prince Albert of Prussia. She set to developing Międzygórze, consequently transforming it into a popular holiday destination.
It was already at that time when the first guesthouses, an inn for visitors, and trout ponds were built. Visitors could hire a guide to Śnieżnik, along with porters and a sedan. Works aimed at adapting the Wilczka waterfall to make it accessible to tourists were also embarked on. Panoramic terraces surrounding the waterfall were built and connected with convenient paths and stone stairways. A stylish bridge was thrown over the waterfall itself. Princess Marianne’s villa was erected nearby,soon to be followed by a more Tyrolean-style edifice. The mountain hut on Śnieżnik was built and new tourist routes were marked - all these resulted in an increased attractiveness of the region. New inns and pensions began to spring up in Międzygórze, which became a fashionable destination for ever increasing numbers of holidaymakers and tourists.
In 1875 Doctor Janisch of Jawor, who had participated in setting up a spa in Sokołowsk, found his way to Międzygórze. Here, he decided to create a competitive centre for treatment of lung diseases. Already in 1882, he launched a luxury spa complex–the present day OW Gigant. The spa enjoyed a huge popularity which resulted in its extension by further facilities.
The rank and popularity of Międzygórze was constantly growing. It was then that a branch of the GGV, a tourist organisation operating during these times, was established here, further trails to Śnieżnik, Igliczna, and Puchaczówka Pass were marked.
At the end of the 19th century, a winter sports centre developed in Międzygórze. Downhill ‘horned sleigh’ runs following trails from Czarna Góra and Śnieżnik became extremely popular. Simultaneously luge was also developing and growing in popularity. It was skiing, however, that was to play the dominant role. The GGV organised courses conducted by Mathias Zdarsky, the forerunner of downhill skiing invited to the Sudetes from the Alps. Międzygórze’s prime time fell on the interwar period. The resort boasted of 10 hotels and inns, 15 pensions, and a spa with one hundred beds. Visitors could use a ski jump facility, luge tracks, a swimming pool, and baths. The resort’s further development was halted by the outbreak of WWII. Fortunately, Międzygórze was spared destruction and almost all historical buildings survived unscathed.
After 1945, the town continued as a holiday resort. Most of the facilities were handed over to the FWP, which turned Międzygórze into one of the largest holiday centres in the country. Tourism continued to develop dynamically, the infrastructure was brought up to date, the pensions were renovated. After 1990 came a period of significant regression. The situation of the FWP was gradually deteriorating which was naturally reflected in decreasing numbers of holidaymakers which, in turn,resulted in pensions and the accompanying infrastructure falling in disrepair. Presently, it is possible to say that the new period of splendour is on the way. Pensions in perfect majority are held by private owners, they have been renovated and modernised. Międzygórze offers a diversified accommodation base, luxurious pensions, resort hotels, agritouristic farms. The accompanying infrastructure is also developing, with multiple catering opportunities. The natural, landscape, and curative advantages combined with the developing holiday resort provide a perfect base to have a great time. Increasingly more often holidaymakers and tourists from Poland and abroad take advantage of this.